View Single Post
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 16:58   #13
VolvoRob38

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainG View Post
Hi

Did you actually mean to ask for a timing belt or did you mean an alternator belt.
As you said after you bought an alternator belt.
Big difference in cost when fitting.

Iain
No, I meant altinator and timing belt. Cost of both with labour from Volvo was £1000. Im not paying that, Im not made of money lol.
I spoke to Volvo first and then went and ordered the altinator from else where to keep costs down. I will have to come back to the timing belt later. Volvo said 10 years or every 90k.
Im over 10 years, but only at 69k. As I rarely use the car Im hoping I can stretch the 10 years another 12 months, then I will get on it.
I was considering doing them both myself, but after looking at videos on timing belt replacement I think thats a bit above my skill level. Altinator I fell confident I can do. The timing belt, with undoing engine mounts and supporting the engine feels like a step too far. Plus limited space/time. It is something I will definitely attempt at some point, just possibly not with this car. It would be great to be able to do that level of work on a car, then I could keep runing indefinitely... probably.

I actually decided to only buy the altinator from CES for the exchange option for the old one. When I costed the belt and tensioner for £78 I thought that was a bit steep tbh, so have been looking elsewhere. But I cant find the part(s) on Vida, i found the altinator, but not the belt and tensioner. I have found a bet on ebay, says genuine auxilliry belt, but not sure about the part number, as it does say restricted on engine type. Looking at the part number online I only see it refer to pentrol, not dieseil engines. But would they be different?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293221257487

Do you know if this would fit? I will have to check my engine type, can't remember it now; something like DT64... sorry cant remember. i will go and fire up vida to check. brb.

TIA