View Single Post
Old Jul 27th, 2021, 18:13   #23
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
A 200k car could easily have a much less used and better condition handbrake than a 50k car of a similar age so I wouldn't use mileage as the measure of the condition of handbrake components.
They either need changing or they don't.

The friction thickness is not a measure of delamination. It will always be very close to the brand new thickness as the handbrake is only used when stationary.
Delamination relates to the bonding of the friction material to the shoe itself so replacing them is never a bad thing.

I'm afraid it's not a question of agreeing to disagree as spending money on an unnecessary component is not something in which I see any merit.
If I was having this discussion with someone who had done the job completely but still felt they needed adjusters, I'd agree to disagree. That isn't the case though.

We're talking millimetres and fractions of when discussing the effectiveness of the cables.
It's nearly 20 years old, it's being removed anyway to change the other cables so I'm perplexed why it wouldn't be changed at that point instead of faffing with adjusters.

A perfect handbrake can be achieved without turning adjusters and sticking screwdrivers into brake discs.
The cost isn't the issue either as I am advocating spending money, only spending it on a component that was in the original design.
Gilding the lily seems to have overtaken the much simpler, doing the job right first time.
Got to agree with above....if you read my earlier post- I replaced cables shoes springs and I ended up with a 1st class hand brake. I've run V70s since 1995...you can try to skimp on the hand brake but in the long run get new bits and the forget about it for another 5 yes or so .
Cheers Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote