View Single Post
Old Oct 21st, 2022, 18:23   #30
theandypandy

I have a V60 D6. The aircon went over a year ago and then the alternator started making a noise like a lathe. I've been driving it for ages but it's finally expired - which I think is the mechanical AC-> DC charge side. If I start the car it sits there on battery. If I blip the throttle in Park, the engine starts OK and I can drive it on engine. If I try to set off in hybrid it gets upset and then tells me there's no engine. Then a few seconds later the engine starts and I can drive it.

It's going in in just under 2 weeks to have new alternator and new aircon compressor. A £3k fix.

My question is this - with a full EV battery and running on the engine (no electrical energy generated from engine -> but the DC part of the alt is still working, will it keep the car battery charged up from the EV battery?

The car seems stable without the alternator but I don't want to flatten the car battery, although I have a full EV and it charges fine. I am 40 miles from the Volvo dealer who knows how to fix it. The one in Southampton is useless

- thanks

Last edited by theandypandy; Oct 21st, 2022 at 18:39.
theandypandy is offline   Reply With Quote