Former contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul240480 View Post
Just looking in my 240 manual:

Max weights for trailers with brakes given by Volvo are:

Max 1500kgs not exeeding 50mph (80Kph)

Max 1600kgs not exceeding 45mph (70Kph)
Auto's must have an oil cooler.

Personally, I'd not be happy to tow such a weight with mine, the trailer would push the car about too much. As mentioned my Swift was 1395Kgs MTPLM so that was getting to about as far as I'd be happy with, and that was after some years with the Fleetwood (much lighter) as a beginer tow-er
Those figures you quote are the max recommended for an un-braked trailer. We do a lot of towing of cars on a trailer and certainly another 240 on a trailer (about 2 tonnnes) is a very easy tow (especially with a 2.3) Adequate nose -weight is essential and there is no problem of being pushed if the trailer brakes are functioning as designed.

My sone uses his GLT to tow a 22' 4wheel caravan about 1.5 tonne and finds it tows very well.

There is a question mark over legality of weight towed. The Vin plate does not specify a figure. If using a volvo towbar these are rated at 1500kg so you could be in trouble if the plate is on the towbar.

It is impossible to be prosecuted over weight as regards a specific weight the only possible offence would be drivng a car and trailer dangerously loaded. The one case brought against my son towing a classic Range Rover was dropped at court. It would have been hard to prove as we could give evidence of 100,000+ miles of towing similair weights without any incident over a period spanning 20+ years.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike_Brace For This Useful Post: