View Single Post
Old Jun 15th, 2020, 13:26   #8
Loofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
As many people have reported there have been instances of failure of the electric motor in the rear axle. This unit is called the ERAD. In the past the entire unit has been replaced, which has been quoted as a circa 9k GBP cost. Repair is sometimes possible and there is now a repair and modification kit for this unit which I am led to believe is about 1.7k parts and about 12 hours labour. This will add up to a circa 3.5k GBP job to repair.

The ERAD can fail in different ways but common symptoms are hesitation on pulling away, pulling away then cutting out, juddering (axle tramp) or a loud clunking from the rear.

What I have found out recently is that Volvo has increased the warranty on this part to 5 years. Up to 4 years old they will pay for 100% of the repair cost. Up to 5 years old they will pay for 50%.

What I also now know is that this is strictly enforced. My car was 48 months old on 1.3.20. I had first symptoms on 8.3.20. I rang the dealer about a week later and it was booked in for 31.3.20. Due to UK shutdown I didn't get to the dealer until mid May when the codes were read and the fault diagnosed. The dealer tried very hard for goodwill for me, but Volvo UK refused as the 48 month deadline is strictly enforced. Volvo UK also have full access to the dealer software so they know exactly when the codes were read. So for me from Volvo all I am offered is 50% of the cost. Luckily I have an aftermarket warranty which should cover it.

So. For anyone experiencing any of the symptoms above, and if the car is close to either the 4 or 5 year anniversary then get to the dealer ASAP and get the codes read. It could save you a lot of money.

Hope that helps someone.
Thanks, a) is there a mileage limit? b) presumably it's only if something is wrong with it, they won't entertain any precautionary/advisory work on it?
Loofer is offline   Reply With Quote