View Single Post
Old May 9th, 2022, 13:27   #22
bluey_xc90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
As for the whole Polestar thing, it makes sense that Volvo no longer use it. It was a racing firm / performance division of Volvo, but is now an electric car company. It doesn't seem to make sense any more to use as before.

They could of course offer a similar performance package with a different name though.

As for not buying a new Volvo without Polestar, surely you should try their offerings before dismissing it completely. The Polestar offerings were a software upgrade of gearbox and engine on the existing models, (perhaps there was more to it). So the newer models may simply have the level of performance from the gearbox and engine, that the old Polestar versions did, as standard, or perhaps not ?
Agree on your comments here - the SPA Polestar engineered (19-) were just mild software tune, then throwing on a version of the older Polestar wheels, brakes and Ohlinsfor continuity... The Original PE V60 (15-6) in the 3.0l form was vastly different in the engineering - new turbo, exhaust, custom engine mapping (about 40hp more), custom mapping on the haldex (which most people don't know that when turn off ESC becomes rear drive biased!), custom interior and unique colour (rebel blue). I belive 47 differences from the standard car and were built by sending completed SE models to Polestar racing to then take apart and rebuild themselves.

Unfortunately they never sold mostly as so tax inefficient on emissions and ended up with a lot of unsold as no PCP option (one price of £49,500 so more expensive than Audi S4/C43 - almost to cost of M3/C63) - only 120 of the 3.0l and 100 of the 2.0l. Hence the newer once being more badge engineered and attractive as a company car in order to sell in higher numbers. But still very much a niche car which hasn't sold well.

And yes, I have one of the original 120 cars ..... alongside the my22 XC90 B5 which was specificed to match the V60 PE as close as possible in looks and equipment! lol
bluey_xc90 is offline   Reply With Quote