Thread: Is this a scam?
View Single Post
Old Jul 30th, 2021, 11:17   #35
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I'm still not convinced this isn't a scam Alan. The fact the DVLA don't recognise the reg number on either the tax or MoT databases smells bad to me, granted other memebrs have had knowledge of the car in the flesh but unless i'm mistaken, we're 2 years on from the last known contact.

A lot can happen in 2 years! Some oyk could have downloaded the photos and bided his time until the car had (possibly) been scrapped due to lack of interest. Then said oyk comes up with a plausible reason why he's not available, neither is the V5 and expects you to cough up based on photos only.
Once the funds are in his account, he sends a link to the postcode where the car is and you trundle along with a trailer to collect it (no keys either i expect?) only to find a Volvo shaped hole where your new project should be.

If it was a pile of dung creating the smell i'm getting from this so far, said pile would be the size of Everest!

I'd say save your money, if you really want an Amazon, wait until one comes along that is firstly in better condition, secondly a bit closer to home (so you don't potentially waste money viewing and/or collecting with a trailer) and thirdly, one that doesn't have so many things against it.

Yes, those things could be circumstantial and it may be a genuine car and sale and i could be wrong. However i've seen similar scams many times on a variety of cars from the last available Chevette GL auto saloon, a Datsun C210 Skyline and several others - usually a little "off-beat" for the majority of people which obviously minimises the risk of being found out until after the scam is complete.
You might be right Dave, but in this case I'd already decided the car was not for me based on the evidence. The value of this forum has been demonstrated again though - it was well worth asking the question about it being a scam or not, then at least two members had seen the car (admittedly 2 years ago) and another put me on the trail of the thread from these pages about its previous life.