View Single Post
Old Aug 20th, 2021, 11:34   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Example of the Bosch leads - recently my radiator sprang a leak which i've temporarily resolved with Radweld. Because of this, the coolant level had frequently dropped causing the CTS (Coolant Temperature Sensor) to measure hot air instead of hot coolant and as such, give erroneous results to the fuel ECU resulting in generally poor running and economy.

After adding the Radweld, things improved until yesterday when it was down to 4 cylinders, general lack of power, occasionally coming back to 5 or 6 cylinders but watched the fuel guage drop while only on 4 cylinders!

Fearing that the leak had resulted in one or both head gaskets failing, i did my shopping and then on a hunch decided to check the plug leads for security before heading home. Leads #3 and #6 were both loose on the plugs!

Pushed them back down and it fired on all 6 immediately and stayed on all 6 more importantly. On mine, it's a 90 degree V6 and the plugs are on the inboard side of the heads at 45 degrees to the head so are in fact, vertical. Makes me wonder how the plug leads came loose in the first place!

However they did and caused me considerable mental anguish yesterday. Also explained the recent rough running that i had put down to the CTS not getting the hot coolant to tell the ECU the engine was in fact hot.

Overall i've put it down to poor quality clips on the end of the HT leads that are meant to grip the nipple on the end of the plug. Like many Bosch products, nowhere near as good as they used to be!

As for Autotronics, i've not used them and don't know anybody that has. However i do know someone that used these people for an ECU repair and they also do speedos etc :

https://www.atpelectronics.co.uk/

However, it's only fair to advise you that due to the capcitors leaking on 91/92 Yazaki speedos, often this will incapacitate the IC near one of the bigger caps that leaks (can't recall the IC # just now) and that IC is a custom one. Without the original spec and/or function of that IC to refer to, repair is nigh on impossible. Annoyingly while Volvo/Yazaki corrected this problem they also changed the wiring so you can't even retrofit a later cluster.

A brief rundown on the costs with ATP, from what i remember and my memory is a bit foggy on them so are for guidance only - may serve to clarify autotronics pricing structure which i suspect will be similar.

Test/diagnose/report ~£40 + VAT - cluster returned or repaired after.
Repair ~£300 guaranteed for life on the ECU, not sure on speedos/clusters The test fee is discounted from the repair fee if the repair is carried out.

As i say, my memory is a bit foggy on the exact prices and structure but it gives you an idea.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: