Thread: Engine: 140 1986cc B20A: - Rough Idle solution?
View Single Post
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 20:39   #32
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
This depends on the vintage of the engine. Volvo reversed the direction of air flow in the PCV system on later B20s. I am not exactly sure when the change occurred; but, on my 1971 (and later) the air flow is from the air filter, into the oil separator box on the side of the engine, out the oil filler cap and into the intake manifold. Later engines did not use a PCV valve in the venting arrangement. Air flow is controlled by the all important restricting nipple in the PCV flow arrangement.

On my B20E there are separate ports for the connection to the brake booster and the PCV system (with different nipples on those ports). Later carb manifolds also had separate ports so no requirement for a Tee to the brake servo.
I'm wondering if you've hit the nail on the head and the direction of flow has been inadvertently reversed? Would explain a lot if so!

OP - could be worth swapping the hoses around so the oil filler hose goes to the air cleaner and the vac stub on the inlet goes to the oil separator (going from memory of what was on my last 140 many moons ago and the pic above)

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote