View Single Post
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 21:59   #27
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Other people may give better answers, from personal experience or be able to give you some hard evidence, but if I am reading it correctly, Volvo UK have decided to offer a goodwill gesture for this part up to five years old, as they have recognised the issue, as the standard Volvo warranty is 3 years.

If you are approaching Volvo Ireland, they may not have taken the same stance as Volvo UK on this matter, and simply be sticking with the standard warranty and not offering the goodwill gesture. (Are they different companies ?)

If this is the case you may have to approach Volvo UK, to have the issue resolved, if it is a UK car that you have. (The fact the car is in Ireland and the extend of Volvo service history may play a part as well ?)

Failing all that, I would suggest calling some of the dealers mentioned on here that have carried out the work, and get the information directly from them.

This is all speculation on my part from the responses given, but hopefully someone can provide more detailed information to hopefully get them to stump up some cash.
The above is indeed correct. When I had it done, Volvo UK had extended their warranty on this part for up to 4 years old 100 percent contribution. Up to 5 years old 50% contribution. Over 5 years old you are on your own.

If your car is over 5 years you will get nothing officially in the UK although you could apply for goodwill or extra ordinary goodwill.

As to how it works in Ireland I am afraid I don't know. I would assume that there is also a way of applying for goodwill in Ireland too.

As for mine, my aftermarket warranty paid, but I am aware this is little comfort to you.

If you end up paying yourself it is worth trying to negotiate on price. My dealer has got quite good at it and did mine in about 6 hours so that is *only* about 700 quid or so labour. Get a bit of discount on the part and you might be able to get it done for as low as 2.5k GBP inc VAT.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5

Last edited by Philip Fisher; Apr 26th, 2021 at 22:01.
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote