Thread: Cracked Block.
View Single Post
Old Dec 20th, 2021, 12:10   #9
Rocinante
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suke View Post
Service Manager says otherwise the engine is perfect. We have been told that a new engine is needed at £10,400. We have argued that only a new block is needed and not an engine but to no avail.
Volvo have finally made an offer but that is still leaving us to pay £5,770.00 plus £500 to diagnose the problem. When we bought the car 20 years of life and 200,000 miles were being suggested. We are feeling that we are being cheated as our engine has only done a quarter of what we expected it to do.
I would try to get clarity on why they are insisting a whole new engine is required, when "otherwise the engine is perfect". Is it beyond their capabilities ? Are they worried about warranty of the repair ? or something else. If you can get clarity on this, then you have a possible route around the issue, especially with Thorium now stating that this was possible with his.

Regarding being "cheated", Volvo give a 3 year warranty on their vehicles, they don't promise anything beyond this, (unless of course you take out further warranties) but I too would be upset at failing this early. It is of course fully expected to last beyond this, and their reputation would suffer if their vehicles failed regularly this early, hence why they are offering goodwill. I think you are also following the correct route in asking for more from them, as their opening offer can be a low one, and there are instances on here where goodwill has been raised with a bit of push, but I don't think they are under obligation.

My only caveat to the above, would be for you to investigate the sale of goods act, which requires goods being of satisfactory quality.
"The Sale of Goods Act offers protection against faulty goods even when the manufacturer's guarantee has run out. The act says goods must last a reasonable time...."

I don't know enough about it to say how this applies to cars, or your specific example, but certainly worth investigating further. Citizens advice might be an idea, or considering the sums you are talking about, a consultation with a suitable lawyer, with a reminder that aggressive legal posturing may reduce their goodwill if you are not actually entitled to the compensation.

Last edited by Rocinante; Dec 20th, 2021 at 12:14.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote