View Single Post
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 08:43   #15
ian.stone

I had the same problem with My S60, LED backup warning lights. Looking for a solution I initially went down the contact less CAN Bus connector route. COVID-19 and Brexit put a stop to this as the supplier had resource problems.
After more investigating I discovered the backend lighting ECU which lives in the RH rear light enclosure together with the light cluster also supplies the LH cluster with real wires. I tapped the backing up warning feed orange-yellow wire and connected it to a solid-state relay via a 2KΩ resistor to limit the current to 1.9mA, I guessed this would be safe. The output side or the relay derives its battery feed from the back of the boot auxiliary power socket.

The relay and resistor were housed in a standard IP67 box.

If you are copying this installation, make sure you get the right orange-yellow wire as there is one going to the front of the car and one to the towbar connector which is dead. Also, the 2KΩ resistor is dependent on the make of relay so check the value to use from the data sheet. As a precaution use 2 separate earth connections to prevent a back-door circuit if one fails. Make sure you use a decent reversing light bar. There is plenty of rubbish coming out of China on eBay. I used a Maypole 36w, 2520lm which has an IP67 rating.
I tried posting an article with photos on this site but was blocked right at the end. Give me your Email address and I will send it to you.
ian.stone is offline   Reply With Quote