View Single Post
Old Aug 12th, 2020, 16:44   #1
Chris152

Default Any Advice, Part 2!

Well, we finally found a car and it's supposed to be arriving early next week. I'll post a pic once it's here.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to get ahead of my lad (the car's his to drive and to learn to work on) with some planning. The car's been doing very low mileage the past 10 years and I think has just been ticking over rather than being fully looked after, so the plan is to go through everything important that could have been neglected and check it's good, and safe. I know it needs some welding (tho it passed its MoT in March), which we'll get onto as soon as I find the right person to do it. But the first job is the timing belt, which is 10 years old - I lost a 240 to a broken timing belt back in the day.

Sooo, two questions:
1. Is there a good video that shows the timing belt being replaced that anyone can post a link to? I've watched a few that weren't very helpful, and I've read the Haynes manual about it, but being new to this it'd be good to see it done, where things are located and so on.
2. Beyond the belt and welding, what would you suggest are the key things we look at to check all is safe and sound? As I say, the MoT isn't old, but I've a feeling some things have just about made it through, which isn't a good starting point. Apparently it had a full service in February, but I don't really trust people I don't know (garages, I mean).
Oh, and I'm going to replace all the tyres - one or two looked pretty old, so we'll do the lot to be sure.

ANY advice very much appreciated.
Thanks
Chris
Chris152 is offline   Reply With Quote