View Single Post
Old Jun 26th, 2022, 11:02   #220
Problemchild1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Nankang and Toyo both make a 205/35R18, but I think that is about it. I'm not sure the 205 section tyre would really help with a clearance problem anyway as it is even narrower than the rims. I think stretched tyres like that are okay for show cars that travel on a trailer, but couldn't really be used on the road (well, they could, but the rims would need to be replaced every few thousand miles). In practice the 215/35R18 will be no wider (than the rim) and so might work.

Have you measured the clearance on the NSR and the overhang on the OSR to see if centering with the Panhard rod will work with the additional 10mm clearance the new tyres will give you? If it was really tight I suppose you could trim 5mm off the double thickness seam where the wheel arch turns in before you got to the spot welds. I'd be a bit uncomfortable with that little clearance myself (but it is your motor car of course).

Back to honing cylinder bores -what a crappy job :-)
Haha - see to me, trimming off 5mm of the arch is way simpler and less risky than engine bores

Stretch gets a bad wrap

My smart ForFour tyres have big stretch with tyres that need to be put on the rim with the air canister to almost explode them on

Rims are fine

JJ
Smart Fortwo cdi
Problemchild1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Problemchild1976 For This Useful Post: