View Single Post
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 11:08   #184
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two340'sman View Post
Well, at one stage I had a 2.0 Capri Laser as a company car, useless in the snow, on that day I drove it a few yards and had to change to the Mini which was much better.

And, I remember sitting behind a Police Rover 3500 that could not get up a hill in the snow, slowly drove past him in the Mini. They did not look pleased!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
ohh indeed , I was never a fan of FWD much prefer rear engine rear wheel drive .. however the 850 handled FWD pretty well . The first FWD from volvo was the 480 in 1986 long long before ford came in 1999 . with the 850 coming and going in between too!
I forgot to mention that 70s Fords were tail-happy, was it the SD1 or P6 Rover 3500 that struggled getting up the hill?

Neither should have struggled though so i suspect it may have been down to driving technique more than the car - i've had several SD1 V8s that were fine in ice and snow, except for one moment one cold morning after fixing the PAS on my first V8 when i accidentally turned the steering wheel too hard for the bend i was approaching!

Went backwards into the field on the bend that was accessed from the direction i was traveling.

Oops!

The 480 was basically a rebodied Renault chassis so i don't agree it was a Volvo. I don't remember when the 850 was launched but fairly sure Ford had at least some (if not all) of their fingers in the pie by then. All of their fingers in the pie came in 1999 when they bought the remaining shares, if memory serves from about 1995/6 they had a 51% stake in Volvo that they had been slowly building over time.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: