Thread: Engine: 2.3 Carb B23A/B230K: - time for a rebuild..easily confused bloke!
View Single Post
Old Sep 19th, 2023, 06:56   #6
honestjoe
MY 240 DRIVES ME!

Well.. i finally did this job..I was chicken and cat sitting so i had a few days to chin rub and curse!..first job was to replace inlet manifold gasket..not having done any of these tasks before i needed the extra days..On breaking the seal on the old gasket i nearly had kittens when coolant started leaking everywhere.(was not expecting that)..all sorts of things went through my head..what have i broke..etc..apparently coolant runs through the manifold through its own port.Cleaning off the old gasket around these ports proved difficult especially around dipstick end.It was be some kind of cement..and don"t forget like me the central allen bolt that secures the manifold to the engine block underneath..anyhoo!..all back on and no leaks.at this point i did not fancy stripping the carb so i just replaced with old knackered gaskets and the car fired straight up.all was well untill a test drive under load..a lot of missing and hesitation returned with heart pumping.(didn"t want to leave the chickens unattended)..Pulled the solex off and dismantled..looked brand new in side although all screws were pretty loose.(somebodys been in here before methinks)..I took a chance on the z1 carb kit as of the confusion explained in original post..Mine was a z11,Thankfully the top cover gasket and the float ball valve were suitable for the z11,Float was bought seperately from kit..(webcom)..Replaced float set height replaced ball valve top gasket and base gaskets,had to modify gaskets with a craft knife.put it back on car and started as normal..it ran worse and declined to a stall lots of black smoke.Head in hands..Beer time.Next morning removed carb dissasembled removed float and ball valve replaced old float and ball valve reset float height reassembled start car ran sweet.test drive bogged down black smoke returned to base..a lot of head scratching and looking around engine bay i noticed the dizzy was in a squiffy position.corrected and hurrah car runs beautifully no hesitation anymore shaking engine.Just drove fourteen miles home a real joy..I reckon it could still do with a tune up..but i"m not touching anything again!
honestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to honestjoe For This Useful Post: