View Single Post
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 02:46   #129
DW42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juular View Post
I'm using standard rubber bushings from PFS.

I do think there's a bit of confusion regarding the metal shells. On the axle bushes, definitely leave the metal shell in place as otherwise there's very little support for the bush.

On the other arms I'm not sure how any bush would go in unless you remove the shells. They become very corroded, and normally with poly bushes in solid voids, you just press them in as they are.

I've not heard back from the garage in ages, I wonder if they are struggling with them..
I think Juular has answered most of the bushing removal issues: for the panhard rod and reaction rods (apologies if I've named these incorrectly) the housing is solid metal and the old bushing shells should be removed for new ones to fit. Disregard the new bushing instructions if they tell you to leave the metal shells in. For many of the new ones, particularly poly ones, a press shouldn't be required, just the grease supplied with the new bushing. On the trailing arm the housings are loops rather than solid, and the shell needs to be left in if the new bushings didn't come in a metal shell. The big rear bushing is easy if you have the special tool. I made a simple one, then bought the real thing when one came up on ebay. The front trailing arm bush is where Juular is having problems, and I don't know the solution. It may be possible to build a smaller version of the tool for the rear bushings?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DW42 For This Useful Post: