View Single Post
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 10:15   #123
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I suppose this comes down to pretty fine tolerances. Once I got the bush seated properly with the home made tool it went in quite easily - I think the important thing is to keep everything absolutely straight.

That was quite an ingenious jig you made for your trolley jack - I think again the problem will be keeping everything absolutely straight - whereas a trolley jack necessarily follows an arc. I'm wondering whether that jig would work with a bottle jack instead of a trolley?

Alan
The trolley jack idea doesn't work for exactly the reason you describe Alan, the fact the trolley jack follows an arc. Also there tends to be a lot od "slop" in the various linkages of a trolley jack, not usually a problem when lifting a car as a little flexibility is actually helpful but for using the jack as the power part of a press that slop makes it a no-go.

I also have 2 smaller similar frames made from box section and have successfully used a bottle jack to press out a wheel bearing, my "winter project" for this year is to beef it up and fit exact landing position plates (so i can remove and use the bottle jack for other things too) for the bottle jack and also on the back of it, fit a couple of lengths of angle iron, one with two sets of bearings (covered in a length of tube each), the other with a central set of bearings covered in a longer tube with a handle attached to the tube to create a ring-roller - the jack would apply the pressure to enable the curves to be rolled.

It's certainly the basis of a useful tool, maybe my ideas will give Juular an idea how to repurpose/reinvent his frame to make himself a useful tool.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: