View Single Post
Old Aug 2nd, 2016, 13:46   #29
Agouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkennedy View Post
And do you think that your insurance is going to pay if you have not fitted the crash bar as per Volvo instructions? The crash bar is part of the type approval of the vehicle and by its removal it therefore does not meet type approval regulations making your insurance null and void. Not a risk I would be prepared to make on such a costly vehicle.
Crash bar is not refitted (and indeed, is not possible to fit) with the genuine Volvo towbar for the S60. Even have the official instructions to prove it

At least for the S60 if you CAN fit it over the aftermarket it would mean the cross member was significantly smaller and almost certainly weaker - the hollow in behind the crash bar is half the height of the genuine member.

Edit: For the XC60 from looking through different accessories it looks like there IS enough for room as the instructions say to refit it. The genuine XC60 towbar member I'm seeing is round, not RHS like in the first post photos, though, and I suspect it wouldn't fit with that one in the first post.

I also added some locktite 243 to each of the bolts before torquing them, just to be safe. I doubt it is ever coming off but 243 wont make it too much of a problem regardless and it adds some peace of mind.

Last edited by Agouti; Aug 2nd, 2016 at 14:25.
Agouti is offline   Reply With Quote