View Single Post
Old May 14th, 2016, 03:51   #22
somersetmale

Smile Finishing Installing XC60 Tow-Bar

Well chaps, I did the tow-bar fitting last weekend with a little help from my bro as you do need two to drop the bumper assembly.
As per previously mentioned, the safety member does re-fit (with a Witter tow-bar from FP Jones) A bit tight, but will torque down and make the vehicle Type approved for Insurance purposes.
The one hiccup we had was having to loosen the tow-bar bolts after torquing them because the tow-bar obstructed access for the top two bolts for the two brackets that carry the heat shield, Doh!!

Now I have a question to all you knowledgable chaps!
Fitting the 'Right Connections' loom that I bought with the bar from PF Jones, not a problem, very straight forward, but there is a second loom which supplies a constant feed to the caravan fridge. I prefer not to have to run a constant live feed from the + battery terminal all the way through the car to the boot and my bro. found a live feed in the left boot well at the fusebox to avoid having to do this, but can't see how to free-up the electrical connectors from the back of the fusebox to crimp in the wires. Does anybody have any knowledge of how this should be done (without wrecking the box)?

As an aside, the rubber grommet which the tow-bar wiring loom passes through to the outside of the car was missing on my car, (obviously a previous tow-bar fitted), so I phoned my local Volvo dealer and after much confusion, they said there were three grommets despite my detailed explanation, but carried not stock of any of them, so would order all three. Delivery would take about a week as they had to come from Sweden!!!!
I said, Okay, as long as I didn't have to pay for carriage......
somersetmale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to somersetmale For This Useful Post: