Thread: D5 (2005 on) - D5244Txx interchangeability
View Single Post
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 22:19   #8
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
If all of the physical properties are the same, stroke, compression ratio etc., different bhp and torque could easily be a result of a different engine map.
Volvo have history in producing the same physical lump but it being a different engine version as a result of software. P2 Euro 4 163 and 185 for example are the same engine. There are more examples and it's not a unique practice with just Volvo.

It's easy to market "more powerful" versions and generate more money when all you're doing is using the same engine but programming the ECM with different data.

You have to go through individual models and geographical variants in Vida to see what engine gearbox combination is available.
Some D5s have auto and manual versions on some models but manual or auto only on other models.

I suppose you could migrate everything but that would present issues with stored mileages and other module serial numbers in the CEM. Unless you want to transfer every module to avoid discrepancies which is just not feasible in my eyes.
Not often I'm right and I'm wrong again LOL

So..
Checking up the "T10" engine is the only 205BHP motor. Assume supplied in auto or manual flavour.
The "T15" which I thought was my Manual D5, is in fact the auto D5 motor.
My manual D5 is a "T11".

Things are further complicated as the XC60 ran a 220BHP with 420 or 440 torques upto about 2016/7 with 2 different "Tnn" identifications.... and there may be others too

With 4 different configurations, would it not have been simpler to make just the one?? Even if the differences are minor differences in ECU data??

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post: