View Single Post
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 11:37   #1
sillkonserv24

Default Scraping sound from engine

Hi! I recently bought a Volvo s40 -04 (first generation) and when I used a OBD2 reader it showed the code P0010 (Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit). I changed the oil but nothing happened. When I checked the spark plugs yesterday I noticed a connector to the left that wasn't plugged in. I don't really know what kind of cable it is but when it is plugged in it looks like on the picture below:

https://imgur.com/a/5xbZted

I plugged in the cable and the acceleration immediately felt quicker and the DTC code disappeared. Everything felt great until I listened to the engine and I heard a scraping noise that I've never heard before. Sometimes the sound disappears for a short while but most of the time the sound is there. The sound is the same no matter how much i press the gas pedal and it's pretty loud. When I unplugged the connector the sound disappeared again. It seems the previous owner realized that the sound disappears when you unplug the connector so he just left it like that. I really don't know what is wrong. It sounds like the sound is coming from the timing belt which would make sense since the P0010 code is related to the camshaft. The engine is a B4184 S2. Does anyone know why this might be? I really appreciate the help!

// David
sillkonserv24 is offline   Reply With Quote