View Single Post
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 11:50   #4
Paul Sanderson

Many years ago, having had about ten years of classic cars as my daily drivers (because they were cheap) I bought my first 'modern' car – a Rover SD1, they by now being cheap enough for me to afford. One of the first things I saw was that from the trim/equipment point of view the car had been designed to be built easily on the production line – virtually slotted together. That also meant that the Rover dealerships further down the line could easily fix them when parts needed replacing, which would mean a better profit margin.

This seemed to me to be a very welcome improvement that benefitted me. Before, my cars would be immobile for some time because a part needed repairing and I had to have the right tools, etc, etc. Now it was a simple matter to unplug the dud part and slot in the new one.

This was possible because parts were now smaller (particularly electrical ones) but with the Ford, Vauxhall and, now, Volvo I was looking at a return to complexity even though there didn't seem to be any need to do so.
Paul Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote