View Single Post
Old Jan 16th, 2022, 10:40   #1
Father Ted
Master Member

Default DIM issues,alternative diagnosis

Long time since I posted on here, but I'm still loitering.
I've noticed an "issue" with my DIM which I thought I'd share as useful information.

My DIM failed a couple of years back. Started with Main Beam light not working, then no display/clocks at all.
I sent it in for repair (Volvo Diagnostics: I can't rate this guy highly enough!).
After about 9 months it failed again, or so I thought. But I noticed that turning the ignition off, then on again most times made it work.
I sent it back (lifetime warranty on the repair).
But every now and then it still "fails". However, I noticed that if I leave a tiny pause between turning the key from position 1 to position 2 (and ensure that the key is pushed all of the way home) it never fails. If I don't do this occasionally I get just the engine management light. If I turn the ignition off immediately and then ensure the pause between Pos1 and Pos2 not only does the DIM work again, I don't get the airbag fail message.

So, I'm thinking, sometimes it might not be a DIM failure, but a dodgy switch in the keyswitch, causing a small delay in the DIM powering up.

When I get a spare life I might investigate this further, but I thought I'd share the information as it might help someone else.
The Following User Says Thank You to Father Ted For This Useful Post: