View Single Post
Old Sep 5th, 2010, 16:12   #45
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T240 View Post

You obviously haven't even looked properly at the Castrol Uk site - where EVERY regular engine oil is referred to as GTX somethimg or other; i.e GTX, GTX Magnatec, etc. the site is NOT up to date, and that is witnessed, not least, by the fact that the 'fact sheets' are out of date and don't even recognize that many of the oils listed are out of production, as stated previously. Plus, as with the US site, many of the options just aren't functioning. i.e selecting an operating temperature.

As for Volvo using fully synth oils from the factory, I have never talked about NEW engines in relation to this subject, so what relevance you think it has is purely in your head, as does bringing air travel into this conversation!!

T
Yes I have looked at the Castrol site properly. Magnatec is called Magnatec just like it says on the can lable. It has no GTX prefix. This is what I'm seeing http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7063969 That's what is in the shops. Ditto Edge. Those can lables are what we see in the shops here. Are you seeing a different site to us in the UK?

From experience, Castrol UK do have a very helpful tech department and I'm sure they would answer any questions you have re the products they market or have marketed.

You spoke of "high milage engines" You made no specific exclusion of new engines. I assumed that you meant modern engines with high miles that are designed to run with full synthetic oil in them as that is what the thread is related to really.

I don't know during what period Mercs had engine temperature problems.

I mention jet engines as an example of temperature extremes that mineral oils simply cannot cope with.

Most people with very old designs of engine have engines that are designed for a different oil technology and I agree it is asking for trouble to change the design parameters. To quote Irv Gordon "If it aint broke don't fix it" He uses a 20-50 diesel rated Castrol oil in the summer. Of course he changes the oil every 3000 miles. All very different to modern engines.

I've been using full synthetic oils myself in my cars since 1964 and I've never had any temperature issues myself, regardless of milage. I didn't use it in my 1926 Rolls Royce though as I used a straight oil and not a multi grade as per their recommendation. All the other cars though had the synthetic stuff in them.

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Sep 5th, 2010 at 16:19. Reason: Added info
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote