View Single Post
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 11:13   #80
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcr69 View Post
I did my first proper tank refill yesterday on my D4 FWD Manual.

I am used to computers that fib as to how much fuel is left (my Toyota would say I had a range of 20 miles when I could put on 55 litres in a 60 litre tank).

Anyways, being dumb, and making a 70 mile motorway journey, I ignored the Reserve light (which came on at around 50 miles left) and went off the trip computer telling me the range left.

When it got to 20 miles left I decided to leave the motorway and get to a fuel station.

On the slip road (uphill) the range went from 20 miles left to "---" and stayed like that for 2 miles to the petrol station.

I was expecting to get about 65 litres into the fuel tank.

I actually managed to put in 73.08 litres - definitely NOT something that I am proud of
Bear in mind the tank is officially 70 litres, plus the plumbing from the filler cap.

Incidently, I managed 777 miles on the tank and averaged 48.33mpg with a mix of
- about 500 miles on the motorway, locked in cruise control at 56mph - an indicated 58 mph on the computer - hey, they always overestimate, but GPS never lies
- about 200 miles on decent windy A-roads, speeding.
- the rest around town

So, from here on I will search for a fuel station when the reserve light comes on.

Has anyone ever run out of fuel, or run the fuel levels so low they got more than 73 litres in?
The only instrument which tells you how much fuel is left in the tank is the GAUGE It is a highly accurate expensive moving coil instrument and it is designed so that even when the needle is dead on the bottom mark it wont stop so just go by your gauge that's what it is for... 👍