View Single Post
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 19:10   #2463
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70Gavin View Post
Sotosound,

Sadly I don't other than the Volvo chap stated "the EGR has been changed already" which I think means the cooler hasn't...but not definitive.

I did some more investigating on Sunday evening. The EGR is moving freely with no obvious stickiness or stiffness. I cleared the codes and went for a drive. The EGR seemed to be working as I would expect; closed at idle, close on acceleration, open around 40-50% when cruising at steady speeds with rpm 1500-2500 (ish). No EGR error except at idle when the EGR position was at 2% and so error was 99% (comparing demand of 0% to actual of 2%).

Then when the "Reduced Performance" tortoise came up (after about 5-6 mins driving) the EGR remained closed. Cleared codes again and EGR working as before.

At the end of a 30 min drive the only code up was MAF air flow range/performance.

So I think this now says cooler to me (when I was sure it was the EGR!!) but don't want to press my friend to take the car in to Volvo and expose her to their wish to diagnose at £150/hr...... But maybe there is no option other than to risk that.

At least if it is the cooler then she should get 100% goodwill.

Hmmm.

Gavin
A blocked EGR cooler will give a Volvo P04d900 diagnostic trouble code (OBD2 P04d9), which is the trigger for replacement under goodwill. I don't believe you've mentioned this code being detected?