View Single Post
Old Feb 9th, 2021, 18:40   #2462
V70Gavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
Do you know why no EGR valve cooler work was done? Was it clear or blocked?

I would have thought that the EGR cooler would have either been cleaned or replaced when the EGR valve was replaced as it normally becomes blocked over time. Not to do so defeats the purpose of replacing the EGR valve. If the EGR cooler isn’t functioning properly then further trouble will surely follow as it’s there for a purpose that it can only fulfil if it’s working properly.
Sotosound,

Sadly I don't other than the Volvo chap stated "the EGR has been changed already" which I think means the cooler hasn't...but not definitive.

I did some more investigating on Sunday evening. The EGR is moving freely with no obvious stickiness or stiffness. I cleared the codes and went for a drive. The EGR seemed to be working as I would expect; closed at idle, close on acceleration, open around 40-50% when cruising at steady speeds with rpm 1500-2500 (ish). No EGR error except at idle when the EGR position was at 2% and so error was 99% (comparing demand of 0% to actual of 2%).

Then when the "Reduced Performance" tortoise came up (after about 5-6 mins driving) the EGR remained closed. Cleared codes again and EGR working as before.

At the end of a 30 min drive the only code up was MAF air flow range/performance.

So I think this now says cooler to me (when I was sure it was the EGR!!) but don't want to press my friend to take the car in to Volvo and expose her to their wish to diagnose at £150/hr...... But maybe there is no option other than to risk that.

At least if it is the cooler then she should get 100% goodwill.

Hmmm.

Gavin
The Following User Says Thank You to V70Gavin For This Useful Post: