Thread: 0W30 or 5W30
View Single Post
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 10:44   #30
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo145 View Post
Why does it need to be Castrol as some have stated when some Volvo main dealers don't use it?
They do use the correct spec be it Shell /Mobile etc.
If you think about it some dealers are multi franchise and they would need a few different manufacturers to cater for the different models that they sell.
I personally use Comma oil in my vehicles which some people might frown on but never had any issues.
I'm surprised to hear UK Volvo dealers are using oils that are not approved of by Volvo.
Top of the range engine oil companies like Mobil, Shell and Liqui Moly all make oils that are recommended for various Volvo cars, BUT USE THEIR OIL FINDER GUIDE PAGES to check which one is the best.
Mobil 1 oils are good and contain a lot of detergent additives, so they clean well BUT cause slightly more wear.
Shell Ultra is the best oil for the money as it has a GTL (Gas To Liquids) base in addition to good additives.
Liqui Moly Synthoils are the best in technical terms, BUT rather expensive and you won't know the difference between UOA results with Ultra.

There is no way I would use a non major brand oil like Comma regardless of how good their web site is or what is written on the cans. Acea specs are done by self certification, so no one checks the actual performance!

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote