Thread: General: 164: - Parts availability/equivalents
View Single Post
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 00:32   #20
woodturner-fran

That'd be great - sounds like they'd be a good match.

I've had quite a weekend with my new 164. She was overcharging so I got the alternator checked out and a new regulator. Put it in went for a spin and the charging light still coming on dim. Went on to get some petrol. On the way back the fanbelt snapped, I drove on a bit but stopped before she boiled up. Wife called out to tow me home. Pitch dark and when I connected up the rope I snagged it around one of the pipes for bringing the g'box fluid to rad for cooling and pulled it off. Auto box fluid running out on the ground - I was not a happy camper!

So anyway I took the rad out there tonight and very luckily the fitting broke where it had gone into the rad so I was able to get it out with an easy-out and mended the pipe. Got it all back together.

Heres the lucky bit. When I took the rad out, it turns out the top radiator hose was rotten under the jubilee clip. Would have gone at any time. I am lucky also to have a good range of old radiator hoses and got one that fitted AOK. So all is well, after some very worrying times!

Some interesting points: I towed it home in N. Took out the rad and the oil cooler pipe was empty. I checked the auto box oil level and it was off the bottom of the dipstick. It only took a little over a pint to bring it back up. Very little must have run out. Can't really figure out why the old belt snapped. I didn't check it out but it didn't look too bad when refitting the alternator. However there was a bunch of belt material caught under the PAS pump belt. Some frayed bits must have got caught under the PAS belt and got pulled in. What are the chances!

Fran
woodturner-fran is offline   Reply With Quote