View Single Post
Old Feb 26th, 2024, 15:10   #20
SalvadorP
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
If you need clarification I have found Liqui-Moly helpul and responsive to an email. info@liqui-moly.de or now they have a base in th UK, info.uk@liqui-moly.com or phone 0121 7965365. There's also a question form to fill in on their website.

Bob.
Thanks Bob, I don't really think it is necessary any further clarification in this case.
I understand what Clan means but, for all I've read, it seems that the term EP when used in the name of the product is mostly a branding/marketing thing. What really matters is the classifications (GL1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) and manufacturer approval type (ie Mil-L 2105 a, B, C, D, etc.)

GL-5 is the classification of oils intended for these high pressure environments. I read that GL5 oils contain roughly double the EP additives of GL4. So I am left to assume that a GL5 grade oil, saying EP in the name is just a marketing thing. Maybe some have an extra amount of these additives, but they are all required to have a minimum amount to be classified GL-5. At least, this is my understanding of it.

LS (limited slip) additives for example is a different thing, because there isn't a classification (ie GL-5) just for them. So it needs to say that it contains LS additives. But regarding EP, I don't think it is the same, because GL-5 already implies having those additives.

Last edited by SalvadorP; Feb 26th, 2024 at 16:23.
SalvadorP is offline   Reply With Quote