View Single Post
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 12:16   #9
ca2n

I took out the car yesterday and the engine cut out twice.

The only similarity between these two occurrences was that I was feather-light on the throttle (1st: creeping away from a traffic light, 2nd: creeping away from parking bay). On both occurrences, the engine speed was just creeping up to around 1000 rpm, stuttered, and cut out. I moved the gearshift back into P, cycled the ignition, and the engine fired again.

Looking back at the data on the first cut out (Run 1), I noticed that there was a fuel flow spike just as the engine was about to cut out, which I think is a bit odd:

I have yet to look up how the fuel flow rate is measured. Is there a sensor? Or is it a derived value from several sensors? Could there be an internal leak somewhere?

On the second cut out (Run 2), upon starting the engine, I felt a slight misfire/hesitation that lasted for 1 to 2 seconds. At this point, the car had been parked up for around 5 minutes. I revved the engine a couple of times just to get things going. Moved the gearstick from P to D and feathered the throttle to get out of the parking bay, the engine stuttered, and cut out. Moved the gearstick from D to P, cycled the ignition, and the engine fired.

At this point, I had already noticed that it might be the light-throttling that was causing the engine to cut out. So, for the rest of the journey, I made sure to be a tad more aggressive with the throttle, and, thankfully, it got me home without any issues.

It might be time to break out VIDA to look for any stored codes. It's probably also worth looking back at those connections and give them a final nip.

In the meantime, if anybody has any thoughts, I would appreciate it.