Thread: 240 General: - Volvo 244 50th Anniversary edition
View Single Post
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 10:27   #7
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
But the "special" extras in this case were at least good quality.

Special steering wheel with an inset brass badge and blue real enamel lettering.
2 brass plaques on the front wings, where the flasher repeaters now go.
Blue plush seats, carpets and door cards.
Silver inscribed key fob - chunky, feels real.

All the goodies are a lot nicer than the shoddy later special extras, like stick-on tape zebra stripes of the Torslanda, and a special lower power engine.
That is true, Clifford, but, while they may render the car more saleable, do they really add £1000+ to the price of an otherwise similar, but non special edition, example?

While I'm not absolutely sure, I don't think that all of those 'goodies' were exclusive to the Thor either. My 1983 (Y) 245 GLT, which admittedly started life as a special order Embassy car, had the same blue plush upholstery (which I incidentally much preferred to the 'buttoned' leather alternative), carpets and door cards.

It also had very similar, if not identical wheels (the centre caps of which were 'nicked' when we were on holiday in Norway once - ) and was additionally fitted with air conditioning *and supplementary gauges. The Thor may be desirable, but as an example of the breed is it any different to many other 240s?

Regards, John.

Last edited by john.wigley; Apr 8th, 2021 at 12:59. Reason: Add extra info *.
john.wigley is offline   Reply With Quote