View Single Post
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 20:21   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The Weber was a standard fit on some Mantas - i'd lay bets it had over-riders on the bumpers from the factory? Usually they went hand-in-hand and were German built.

The Belgian built (mainly Asconas but some Mantas and Mk1 Cavaliers) usually didn't have the overriders but the 28/36 Weber gave better economy and performance than the horrible Solex thing, even if it had Zenith stamped on it!

Can't remember the last time i saw a Mk1 Cav/Manta/Asona on the road or anywhere else for that matter.

I remember having fun with 2.8i Capris, their faces in the rear view mirror said it all really! I'd previously had fun with them in a Mk3 Cortina, it was an N reg with the 1.6 box and back axle (slightly lower ratio than the 2.0) but ended up with a Capri 2.0 GT engine with a wild cam in it - not sure what cam it was but it went like stink, nicely helped by the back axle and lower ratio 1st and 2nd so Capri 2.8i's were eating my dust up to about 100 then mine ran out of legs and the Capri went past.
I also had a few standard Datsuns that would eat Capri 2.8i's on both acceleration and top end, that was fun!

PS - i like the Ascona fronted Manta, the reverse of what Vauxhall did to create the Cavalier!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Apr 7th, 2021 at 20:23. Reason: PS.....
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote