View Single Post
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 15:09   #12
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
I belive they used them in the 2.25 land rover series engines, it is the same carb I ended up with on my 1.3 golf and when searching for ot I came across plenty that had come off of land rovers. I struck lucky though and found one that had come off a 1.1 mk1 golf, it must have been running a bit rich in that as it ran perfectly on my 1.3.
Probably a bit worn on the 1.1 and your 1.3 used the wear to get the right fueling. I know Ford used the same FoMoCo carb on early 1.1 and 1.3 Fiestas etc. so highly likely VW used the same carb and jetting for the 1.1 and 1.3 Golf but also bear in mind being a fixed venturi it would have the right mixture for a 1.1 at idle and all speeds above so would also have had the right mixture for a 1.3 drawing more volume for a given engine speed.

I remember being a young autoelectrician and they had a 1.1 Fiesta that would flood out as soon as you tried accelerating. None of the others could sort it or even get near the problem. I asked if i could have a try - "Huh! What would you know about it, you're just the sparky!?!?!"

Yeah, ok, have it your way, took it up the road, had a word with the Service Director (my immediate boss), told him my findings and asked if we had another carb i could try. "Borrowed" a carb off a 1.3 Escrot in for bodywork, took it for a spin and came back, gave the keys to the old boy that had scoffed and mocked me and simply said "Give that a try".

Came back 10 minutes later with a look of total disbelief on his wrinkled face. Even more disbelief when i told him the problem which meant all along him and everyone else in the workshop had been looking in the wrong area for the fault!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: