View Single Post
Old Jun 13th, 2021, 00:23   #75
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two340'sman View Post
Watched Big Clive quite a lot.

I also thought of head gasket, only checked level of coolant through plastic master cylinder tank. Will look properly tomorrow, also will look at oil. Engine runs fine above tickover.
Back when i was just a young pup and many of the cars i ran develped HGF, they almost always ran ok at higher revs in the first stages, there was just enough of a weep in the HG to allow coolant to pass into the combustion chamber and/or cause a slight loss of compression to give a misfore on idle.

If your coolant level has dropped a bit, i'd suggest looking at the plugs when the engine has been sat overnight to see if any of them are wet - coolant will leak into the pot where the HG is weeping and make the plug wet quite often. Also a hot compression test might be in order - all plugs out, disconnect the coil or ignition module if you have electronic ignition, wedge the throttle wide open to give it all the air it needs and test.

If it is the HG on its way out, the sooner you catch it the better. Might be worth doing a decoke and lap the valves in while you have it apart.

It's a wet-liner engine so don't turn the crankshaft with the head off, i know for some cars special service tools that are similar to head bolts with what amounts to a tube with a washer stuck on the end of the tube slid over the bolt can be used to hold the liners in place to facilitate turning the engine over while decapitated but even then it's not really advisable. If you break the seal between the bottom of the liner and the block, you'll find it hard to get it to reseal, on some engines this is near impossible and needs the whole block to be machined!

Fairly sure the B14 isn't one of those but no sense in givng yourself extra work either way!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: