View Single Post
Old May 24th, 2021, 18:23   #9
amadan

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwatcher View Post
I don't know the details of Volvo's software QC but they will certainly have done extensive testing. Ideally these issues would not happen but it is (literally) impossible to test any piece of software for every possible situation. Sensors can also give anomalous readings on occasion.

Wipers and lights aren't quite in the same category as brakes. If your wipers and/or headlights fail you could still drive the car safely depending on conditions.
You try telling that to me when it’s dark o’clock and p1issing down on a “smart motorway” and either your wipers or lights fail to work! It’s completely unacceptable - they’re an MOT failure for a reason!

As previously said - if it’s just the automatic functions that’s not good but it’s still safe, but for them to work at all is just dangerous.

As for QC I’m only a sample of one but so far I’ve had the following “fixed by software updates”
Parking sensors not activating reliably
360 cameras not activating
Mirrors not unfurling/furling
Headlight beam came on on auto and wouldn’t go off
Wipers would not turn on
Car wouldn’t lock
Car refused to acknowledge there was a key in the car but ONLY if there was 2 keys in the car

This is before we get to the weird oversights - why is my 2020 car still working on a wire for carplay? My 2016 BMW had wireless carplay. I’m not saying the Germans have everything perfect, far from it - my X3 rattled so badly but Volvo are seriously behind the field here.

Also if you want to look at geely as a wider brand go and search on some of the issues the polestar 2 owners are having with poor range, software issues, inability to get online on Android infotainment (can’t remember the right name sorry).

My car is currently in the garage for its first service and Volvo are arguing the toss about £80 for tyre valve dust caps as in 4k miles all the gold has flaked off them and they look cr4p now. I’ve yet to find out what they’re saying about the creases in the leather (see another thread for this common issue).