Thread: Amazon: - New (to me) 1963 Volvo 122
View Single Post
Old Jan 15th, 2022, 16:03   #108
Othen
Premier Member

Default A slightly too realistic 1960s driving experience...

I had to go to F1 Auto to collect GAM's spare wheel (new tyre fitted) - it is about 4 miles distant. The RB was the first car on the drive and normally I'd have just taken that, but as I'd just taken GAM off the ramps I thought I'd give it a run. Having moved the RB out of the way a slightly too realistic 1960's driving experience ensued.

First - starting: my modern cars start instantly of course, the RB starts on the first turn of the key - GAM took 3 or 4 attempts but we got there in the end. Plus and points service needed I think.

Next - stopping: the brakes had not been particularly good when I drove home from Bedford last week, but this time the brake pedal got lower and lower as I drove, and by the time I reached F1 it was on the floor. I checked the master cylinder, which was all but empty and got a cupful of DOT4 from the ever helpful James (manager at F1). On the way home the brakes were quite effective after a pump, so I suspected a leaky wheel cylinder. A quick look under the car on the drive confirms it is the NSR. That is a job for another day. I'll pull the drum off for a look (probably tomorrow) and see what spares are available to fix. It shouldn't be all that difficult a job.

GAM is the car that keeps giving... more jobs to do :-)

Alan

PS. A success was the BT receiver/amplifier - that works very well indeed from my iPhone.

Last edited by Othen; Jan 15th, 2022 at 16:05.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: