View Single Post
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 17:17   #30
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
Thanks for the replies. On the rust question, I did get under the car and have a poke around, the only clear issues were the outriggers under the the floor panels, toward the sills, as far as I could see. I think for someone like me it's always going to be a gamble unless I get someone else to check it over, but we're too close to delivery now (tomorrow or Wednesday), so I'll have to keep my fingers crossed. Oh dear... :-)

I've ordered the ramps you linked to, Alan, and will leave under-car access at that for the moment. I can see how the trolley thing could get little used, and in the way a lot! And if I get stands, I'll definitely go for ratchet ones, not much more expensive.

Welding. Hmmm. Maybe I should go on a course and teach the lad what I've learned - or maybe I could persuade my ex-colleague to come here and teach us. I wouldn't want to start on the outriggers but if we have a go on easier bits we could build up to trickier things? What's the best type of welder for car work? We'd have to do it outside so I guess MIG is out of the question?

C
You are right Chris: an older car is always a bit of a gamble and you have to take the plunge somewhere; you could have easily spent a great deal more on a very smart looking car that had been cleverly bodged with lots of filler and paint. It sounds like you have bought an honest car that needs a bit of love. It may need some welding - the ramps are pretty good at giving you enough clearance to get underneath and have a look. It passed a MoT test this year though, so that is a good thing.

My only concern (for you and your boy) is that if the car needs a lot of welding to make it good and you pay someone to do it then it could get expensive. The materials are pretty cheap but often there is a lot of labour and inevitably a bit of redecorating to make everything look nice again. There is no point worrying about that now though, you have bought the car and it is on its way. Have a good poke around underneath, in the wheel arches, the spare tyre well and the tailgate (if it is an estate). Don't get too dismayed it there is some rust, or (perhaps worse) if you find a lot of filler - just take your time and fix it properly, if you bodge it the problem will come back with a vengeance before you know it.

Welding: if you were going to do it yourself then only MIG welding is really practical. Unless you are very good indeed then the metal in the bodywork is too thin for arc welding, and gas welding would be a huge problem for storage. A small MIG welder like mine (Clarke I think) runs from a 13A plug (it comes with one fitted, don't buy anything that doesn't have a 13A plug fitted from new unless you want to spend a lot on a dedicated 20A feed to your garage). That means it can be run from a 13A extension outside, but it should be a hefty one for the garage and be completely uncoiled during use.

MIG welding steel is not such a difficult skill to pick up. If you decide to go that way get your mate to come round for an afternoon, ply him with tea and biscuits and by the end of the day you will be able to do tack, seam and plug welds (that is as much as you will need). Get yourself a bucketful of scrap steel and practice a bit.

If you aren't keen on that and if the car does need a bit of welding you could probably find a mobile welder chap that would come to your house and work out of his van on your drive. You could save most of the cost by having the car jacked up ready, removing stuff (carpets, wheels, bits of suspension etc), cutting any rust back to shiny metal (angle grinder, file and wire brush), scraping off any underseal, old filler and paint and perhaps even cutting out the repair panels ready. That way you might just have to pay for the actual welding, rather than all the preparation that takes so long. You could do the making good yourself as well (putting back together and redecorating). If you have room at your house that would be a lot cheaper than driving the car to a workshop and having all the preparation, welding and making good done there.

Good fortune, post some photos for us to see when the car arrives and throughout the work. I think you and your son are in for a fun time - I have really enjoyed the Royal Barge project and it will be really satisfying when it is done (well, older cars are never done...).

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Aug 17th, 2020 at 17:22. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote