View Single Post
Old Aug 17th, 2020, 07:08   #24
Chris152

Thank you, everyone, that’s really helpful. Too many replies for me to respond to individually, but I’ve been through the recommendations and tried to put them into a list so we can work through it:

While doing timing belt, check the water pump and seals on the cam and auxiliary shafts;
Check dates for oil and coolant changes, and possibly spark plugs and air filter as well. Brake pads – check;
Check brake fluid water contamination;
Check the engine and gearbox mounts;
Clear the sills out;
Carefully clean the calipers out and push each of the pistons back a bit to check they aren’t seized;
Check the brake piston dust seals are in good condition (consider a brake piston spreader) and the flexible hoses are in good condition with no cracks or bulges (throughout the car, I guess);
Check condition of radiator to see if it needs replacing;
Lubricate the belt adjusters, lubricate the bonnet hinges, lubricate the exhaust manifold studs, lubricate the headlight securing nuts.

We’re also going to give the car a good clean underneath once we’ve got the belt done so we can see what state it’s in there, and hopefully get any welding done soon – we both would like to learn to weld but it’s a question of space and not really knowing what we’re doing! I did some oxy-acetylene when I was a student and before leaving the day job a couple of years ago, a colleague kindly gave me a lesson with MIG, but I really don’t feel competent.

Ironically, the more the car needs doing (so long as it generally stays on the road safely, and the work is manageable), the better – all the work will be documented as part of the learning process. At least, that’s how I justify the time and money this is going to take!

Thanks

C

ps Is this a suitable kit for getting under the car?
https://www.halfords.com/tools/garag...it-657230.html

Last edited by Chris152; Aug 17th, 2020 at 07:15.
Chris152 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris152 For This Useful Post: