View Single Post
Old Aug 18th, 2021, 09:31   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
I've got to replace the front shields on the Exxon Valdez (1997 940) as the old ones have more holes than metal.

Is the hub nut a 27mm or a 36mm one? I have seen both sizes quoted and want to make sure before starting the job that I have the correct socket.

The process itself looks straightforward:

jack up and support the front end;
remove the road wheel;
undo and secure the caliper;
remove the disc and hub nut;
apply heat/penetrating fluid/"industrial language"/cutting torch to the old backing plate;
clean up the mounting and apply sticking plaster/soothing balm to injuries;
fit new plate;
re-install disc, hub nut, caliper and road wheel, tightening as you go;
have another brew and biscuit/pastry of choice;
attend minor injuries clinic.

If anything is missing from the above please feel free to add it in.
I had to change the front wheel bearings on mine a few years back and i'm fairly sure it was a 32mm nut holding the hub on. Might be wrong and it was a 36mm with the replacement being 32mm though. Fairly sure the replacement that came with the new hubs/bearings was a different size.

I think it'll be a case of "Suck it and see", i know on my other beast the OE nut is 32mm but aftermarket suppliers send a 36mm nut (same thread size as OE though) mostly although i've heard of 30mm nuts as well. That is on the driveshaft that goes through the hub and is torqued to ~315lbft, much higher than the Volvo!

I therefore suspect there is one size on the Volvo that is the OE size but the nuts supplied with aftermarket bits may well be different.

As for your method statement, it sounds about right except for no mention of the pads - presumably dealt with alongside the caliper though.
That aside, a bit sparse on the application of Curses and Naughty Words and refreshments for my liking, i'd need much more of those in my method statement!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: