Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 16:34   #948
Othen
Premier Member

Default 1989 Saloon

I'd been keeping an eye on this auction in the continuing validation of my previous guide to 240 prices:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-240...rdt=true&rt=nc

... it was quite a nice looking 1989 GTL saloon with quite a good MoT record and about 130,000 miles. I don't think it was 'in immaculate condition for its age' (whatever that means, something is either in immaculate condition (which it clearly was not) or it isn't - immaculate can't be qualified by something's age).

Anyway, the auction topped out at only £2,100, and didn't make its reserve. I thought the motor car might have made a little bit more (perhaps £2,400), but it didn't, which is an indication of the state of the market. The price was right in the middle of the guide for middling cars, which as one might remember went like this:

I'd say (from what I've seen things apparently sell for - not ridiculous asking prices):

a. Rough cars (anything with barn find in the title, cars needing welding to the sills or rear arches, MoT failures): make less than £1000.

b. Middling cars: 1982 and later cars with 100-200,000 miles, a bit of history (maybe the past decade, the stuff before that is just for interest), a long MoT and no obvious welding or repairs needed: make £1,500 to £3,000.

c. Very good cars: 1982 and later cars with less than 100,000 miles, full history, long MoT and in really good condition make £3,000 to £4,500.

d. Historic cars (1981 and older) will generally make 50-100% more than the above categories.

The above is just my observation of the market, it will not stop people hawking around rough cars for £3,000, mediocre cars for £6,000 or very good cars for silly money. I don't think they often achieve their asking prices and just spend months or years on the market until the owners give up.

... so again the guide is about right. I wonder how much the owner was hoping to make for his 1989 motor car?

My feeling is that prices are softening a bit. The domestic housing market (which I keep an eye on as a surveyor) seems to be slowing down quickly, and I think that will drag non-essential goods (such as 30 year old cars) down with it.

Just my humble opinions.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Sep 19th, 2021 at 16:35. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: