View Single Post
Old Sep 5th, 2021, 13:47   #38
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
Taxi driver, Freemason, golfist (all of which could be a grandad)

But that would a taxi driving Freemason golfist drive?

Kia are for neurotics, audi for arseholes, bmw for wannabe arseholes, Vauxhall’s for people who don’t want a car, Ford for people with no imagination, mini for people who think they are cool, VW for people who think they know it all, skoda for people who do know it all, Honda for those ready to die, landrover for those who want to be outdoorsie, and a van for those who actually do outdoorsie stuff……all French cars for idiots……...

Stereotypes don’t exist because they don’t happen right…….
Are you suggesting Hondas are for people who are past the "granddad" stage and in deaths waiting room?

If so, you couldn't be more wrong! While i agree many retirees buy them, they are generally the smaller ones. Get yourself in a KA7 or KB1 Legend, 3.5 (or maybe 3.7 if late enough) with SHAWD - Superior Handling All Wheel Drive and give it the beans. The older one (KA7) will certainly have a gearbox that will wake you up a bit, not so sure on the ZF 9-speed thing in the KB1 though.
Alternatively get an Accord 3.0 V6 Coupe and give that some welly, you will be surprised!

Even on mine which shares DNA with the first Legends, give that some welly and it embarrasses most of the German "performance" brigade. Definitely not a car for deaths waiting room or granddads, great fun demonstrating that to boy racers too!

The early S/V90 with the straight 6 3.0 should give similar performance but probably won't because of the conventional auto box with those horrible brake band things........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
I had similar on Friday morning. Grey Evoke suddenly appeared on my tail as I came off the M1 to the M18. I thought "I will scoot past this van and pull in and he can go past me". The Evoke then pulled alongside and the copper driving indicated I should slow down a bit. I acknowledged his advice and eased back to 70.... he disappeared off into the distance. Lesson learned and no points to show for it......
The copper probably wanted to know what you had under the bonnet and if you were prepared to use it. Many so-called performace cars these days can't actually do what they're hyped up to do.

Similar story that does in fact link both of the posts i've quoted, a few years back i was going to a rally/show in my other beast (the Rover in my sig) and a Seat Leon Cupra was trying to mount my towbar. It was in a stretch of dual carriageway with average speed cameras (very new then) and a limit of 70mph but a roundabout coming up shortly, controlled by traffic lights. He pulled up in the lane alongside me and when the lights turned green, so did he! He tried giving it the beans but i kept with him until i got bored and floored it leaving him in a cloud of dust, exhaust fumes and 90 degree V6 howl. He eventually caught up about 2 miles later at the next roundabout but this time kept a respectful distance. Grandads car? Hell, no!

Also recently in my 760, had a BMW chewing my tailpipes so waited until we turned onto a main road and he gave it the beans coming out of the T junction so i floored it, again left him standing. I'd already outgunned him in another stretch of road where he was trying to overtake in a 30 limit - yes i went over the limit but i was still in 1st and left him. He still thought he had a quicker car though.
Lovely red face though!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote