View Single Post
Old Aug 11th, 2021, 21:51   #11
Martin Cox
VOC Member

It sounds as though the hydraulic lifters, cam followers or tappets; call them what you will, have borne the brunt of the damage when the engine lost its timing. I'd suggest you'll probably need to replace them all.

When the belt broke on my D5252t in the V70 some 4 years ago I had one slightly bent valve, one cam follower stuck in the cylinder head, 4 cam followers with cracked and split surfaces and another 3 with visible marks: only 2 of them appeared to have survived unscathed.

I had a local engine rebuilding works free the stuck follower and overhaul the head. they supplied a full set of cam followers so I simply replaced the lot. They weren't that expensive then and I think they supplied FAI ones if memory serves me correctly. To date they've been fine.

For me, the worst part of the job was creating enough space to free the exhaust manifold from the head. Disconnecting the turbo oil return pipe from the cylinder block did the job but if you don't have a hoist the bolts are an absolute pig to get to if you have to do it lying on your back under the car.

Good luck with the repairs and it's always good to hear of another one being saved.

Martin

1998 V70 Tdi Auto, 228,000 miles
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote