View Single Post
Old Aug 6th, 2021, 18:36   #18
DunkinBiskits
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofra View Post
That's a no for me, I'm afraid. First, I'd need to source the engine, ship it over here, pay for the labour and hope it's going to be okay. If it turns out it's nearing its end or doesn't run well, I'm screwed. Scratch and repeat.
if it was me this would be my plan of attack:

buy a complete car WITH said engine already fitted. This way its proven before you even buy the thing, as you can see it running and can perform a multitude of tests prior to handing so much as a cent over.( leak down, crankcase pressure logging with a boost gauge connected to the block, inspect oil compression test, sniff test etc etc)

Break the car, sell all the bits surplus to your requirements, negating the original outlay and possibly even returning a healthy profit.

thats how people acquire 2.4 T5 engines for little to no money, because it comes with a tad of work with it.

If you chose a 2005+ p2 T5 youll get not only a 2.4 T5, youll get a P2R ex manifold, Twin VVT head and camshafts, blue T5 injectors, a k24 turbo, an ME7 sump with onboard oil cooler, rear water manifold, a later M66 with a clutch and flywheel assembly that is compatible with your setup all bar making a rear gearbox bracket, let alone the odds and sods you would sell off the car itself. The M66 box completely changes how the car drives, far more torque/mechanical advantage in 1st thru to 4th, negating the need to work the engine as hard for the same speed sensation.
that way you arent already out of pocket if you go ahead and rebuild the bottom end and head. it also means you wont need rods either as a 2.4T5 bottom end can do 450bhp no problem stock. maybe just a rebore and new pistons

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall
Torque is how far you take the wall with you

Last edited by DunkinBiskits; Aug 6th, 2021 at 18:43.
DunkinBiskits is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DunkinBiskits For This Useful Post: