Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Aug 17th, 2021, 11:32   #2606
Othen
Premier Member

Default Headlamp Wipers

I got round to having a go at fixing the spare nearside headlamp wiper motor I'd acquired recently. Readers may recall it was parking at the wrong place (at the top of the stroke, rather than the bottom).

The motor had been taken apart previously, so it was easy to access:

... you may see I have marked the orientation of the crank (the red piece) with a purple marker. The drive for the park interrupter is the small plastic cog at the top. The idea was to rotate the crank to about 180 degrees from its start position whilst leaving the motor and the parking cog in the original park position. Like this:

... this as a bit of an inexact science - I thought I'd try it in that position and then test and adjust (as they say at the shooting range).

I tested it with a battery again and found I'd got the position just about right, so I plastic welded the back of the unit of with a soldering iron, and sealed up the seam with some black silicone I happened to have in the garage:

It seems to work alright now (starting its rotation from the parked position in an anti-clockwise direction). I'll leave the silicone a couple of hours and then maybe try it on the RB this afternoon.

Watch this space :-)

Alan