Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 16:24   #2605
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Never watched Wheeler Dealers except part of one episode where i switched off in disgust as they clearly knew less about cars than the average brown horse.

I strongly suspect much of the work done on Flippin' Bangers is done by a "team" of workers with just a few shots of the jobs being done by the "stars" to make it credible.

Do the maths on their business model as they purvey it - they both gave up well paid jobs and rented a workshop to buy and sell one car a week with the aim of doubling their investment.
They don't always manage to double their investment but let's assume for a moment they do.

One car, total investment £800, sold for £800 in a week. That's £800 profit - or is it?

That workshop must cost a fair bit each month to rent including the utilities - let's say £1000/pcm as a ballpark figure, that's £230/week straight off their top line and only leaves £570 out of their hypothetical £800 car above. That's £285/wk each in wages, if they take any wages. Works out about £15k a year each, much less than they would have been earning.
Also they haven't included their fuel for viewing/buying said cars, chasing round the country to get spares to revive said cars.
Then there are the welding materials they use on many of the cars - no cost is ever mentioned for those. Also ebay listing fees.....

Factor that lot in and call it £100/wk being generous. Drops their earnings to £235/wk or about £12k a year - all before tax etc as well!

To actually make it pay and produce a living wage for the pair of them, they really need to be doing 3 cars a week but ideally more like 5 and turning them over in that time as well, not just getting them ready to sell.

Work all that out and the only conclusion i can come to is that the production company is paying them to do it so they're never actually worried when a car doesn't sell via ebay (as some haven't and then there was that Alfa Romeo that folded itself round the two-post lift overnight so they scrapped it) and takes time to sell afterwards.

Makes you wonder, doesn't it?
I'm a bit addicted to Wheeler Dealers and to Flippin' Bangers Dave - I think they are both excellent TV. Of course the business models don't work (for either show) that is just the cover story to make the scenario sound plausible. The money comes from royalties earned by the production company selling the shows on afterwards - that is the same with all TV programmes (with the exception of the weather forecast, public information broadcasts and party political slots).

Some things have to be taken with a pinch of salt: like Will removing a Metro's rear subframe to clean its top, and then re-install - but the shows showcase all sorts of useful techniques, skills and products in an easily digestible half hour show with a few (normally car related) ads thrown in for good measure.

... I still like both programmes :-)