Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Aug 3rd, 2021, 11:26   #2604
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... a bit like Wheeler Dealers, I wonder how much backroom work it takes to make that programme :-)

You may be right about needing quite a bit of spare vinyl to get it looking right on the MR2 (or maybe some professional car wrapping mate gave them a hand?).

:-)
Never watched Wheeler Dealers except part of one episode where i switched off in disgust as they clearly knew less about cars than the average brown horse.

I strongly suspect much of the work done on Flippin' Bangers is done by a "team" of workers with just a few shots of the jobs being done by the "stars" to make it credible.

Do the maths on their business model as they purvey it - they both gave up well paid jobs and rented a workshop to buy and sell one car a week with the aim of doubling their investment.
They don't always manage to double their investment but let's assume for a moment they do.

One car, total investment £800, sold for £800 in a week. That's £800 profit - or is it?

That workshop must cost a fair bit each month to rent including the utilities - let's say £1000/pcm as a ballpark figure, that's £230/week straight off their top line and only leaves £570 out of their hypothetical £800 car above. That's £285/wk each in wages, if they take any wages. Works out about £15k a year each, much less than they would have been earning.
Also they haven't included their fuel for viewing/buying said cars, chasing round the country to get spares to revive said cars.
Then there are the welding materials they use on many of the cars - no cost is ever mentioned for those. Also ebay listing fees.....

Factor that lot in and call it £100/wk being generous. Drops their earnings to £235/wk or about £12k a year - all before tax etc as well!

To actually make it pay and produce a living wage for the pair of them, they really need to be doing 3 cars a week but ideally more like 5 and turning them over in that time as well, not just getting them ready to sell.

Work all that out and the only conclusion i can come to is that the production company is paying them to do it so they're never actually worried when a car doesn't sell via ebay (as some haven't and then there was that Alfa Romeo that folded itself round the two-post lift overnight so they scrapped it) and takes time to sell afterwards.

Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Aug 3rd, 2021 at 11:32. Reason: Extra info
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: