View Single Post
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 20:00   #7
TeamG
Master Member

The trend I seem to be seeing is more and more people just going for all-season tyres all year round. Comments in this thread and previously suggest this is mainly as all-seasons have improved significantly in recent years, but also the convenience of not having to change them.

Other factors I can see are the recent tread for wider wheels and lower profiles, which certainly increase the cost of a winter set. I’m pretty sure my winters for my Cortina cost me £20 for four decent steelies from a scrappy (including the chrome trims) and around £25 a corner for the tyres. A new set of winters and alloys can be anywhere upwards from £1500 these days.

Having already a set of spare alloys, in a wheel size an inch smaller than the summer ones, it’s only the cost of the tyres and with two sets they’ll last for years with me. The inch smaller means slightly less chance of alloy damage if I do nudge a kerb in the snow. Worst case, I can pick up another matching Volvo 17” alloy on ebay from under £40 rather than risking my decent ones in the winter.

Two last reasons for possibly sticking with the winters and summers (I’d appreciate your views).

1. I don’t do much mileage anymore as working from home. My wife is a community nurse though and absolutely must reach her patients regardless of weather. In the worst of the snow, I take a day or two off and ferry her around. I find full on winter tyres get me around when I need it. Is there much noticeable difference between winters and all-seasons on the white stuff?

2. I use the opportunity when changing the wheels over to drop the wheel arch liners, washing and waxing the arches behind. I thoroughly check suspension and brakes, doing the brake fluid replacement then if needed. It takes a couple of hours, but I know this will easily last until the next wheel swap in roughly 6 months. I also thoroughly wash and wax the wheels I take off before storing on my wheel tree in the garage. The wheels going on get a brush of copper grease before they go on and the wheel nuts get torqued. This point probably serves to satisfy my OCD more than necessity, but it keeps me happy. Anyone else concur, or is it just me?
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote