View Single Post
Old Jul 5th, 2023, 22:41   #19
Petey80
Premier Member

Default De-badging and Re-badging

As I didn't have to start work until noon, I decided to de-badge and re-badge blue with the glossy black lettering I got from AliExpress.

Before

Started with the "V40" first. Hit it with the hair dryer for a few minutes, then used the prising tool that came with my order

They popped off with ease. Bit of a naff photo with the blurry tool, wasn't in the shot when I took it...

I then moved onto the other side and gave the "T2" the same treatment

A little bit of glue residue was left over, which was expected. So, out came the GTechniq Tar and Glue Remover

I sprayed the entire boot area as there was still the odd tar spot on the paintwork and put a little bit extra over the leftover residue.
I then put some cotton make-up remover pads on, then soaked them in T&G Remover

Left that to soak in for 5 minutes, then wiped the area clean.

Blue was pretty much de-badged, except for the R-Design badge. Not really a fan of the fully de-badged back end on the V40. It just looks a little too bare for me.
I could maybe go as far as removing the model and engine badges, leaving the Volvo on, but with the car being the colour it is, I just knew I had to keep them, but change them to black.

What is usually considered a bit of pain, was helpful for me in this instance. After removing the chrome lettering, they had left marks on the boot as they'd been on for so long and obviously weathered the paintwork.
Normally, if you're fully debadging, it would be time to bring out the polish. However, I used the shadowing (or whatever you like to call it) in aiding me to refit the black letters in exactly the same place.

The only issue that arose was the fact that the black letters weren't spaced like the original ones. So I had to cut them down so they could be placed over the marks from the OE ones.

Just about managed to get all the letters in exactly the same position.

I hate to say it and you might be able to see it, or at least you will once I point it out.

The "2" is a mm or 2 too low to where the OE one used to be..... damnit!! Not to worry though, it's hardly noticeable...

After that I am now left with "D3" in black, so will try to give those away to someone with a D3.

Applied plenty of pressure to the new ones, left them for a while, applied some more pressure then took the covers off.

Really happy with how they turned out

Full rear end shot

I think it looks loads better with the black lettering. Happy to leave the chrome VOLVO on as well. Some have also gone black there, but black on black...... nar, you can't see it and I'm happy to display the VOLVO branding.

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote